Recipe by dojemi
The crust does double duty as the streusel topping and makes assembling the dish a snap. Prep time of 45 minutes includes the 30 minutes for cooling. Serving size is approximate depending on how large you cut the slices. If desired, serve with a dollop of whipped cream (Whipped Cream (Stabilized)) or ice cream. Adapted from Cuisine at Home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 10 inch springform pan with removable bottom with nonstick spray.
- Combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the base and streusel mixtures in a bowl.
- Transfer 3/4 cup of the mixture to a second bowl; set aside for the streusel later.
- Cut 6 tablespoons cold butter and milk into the remaining dry ingredients using a pastry blender or your fingers.
- Mix until clumps form.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan, using a measuring cup to "tamp" down the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until set and gold at the edges.
- Stir melted butter into the reserved streusel mixture until sandy; set aside.
- Toss all ingredients for the filling (apples, sugar, heavy cream, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and salt) together.
- Arrange over the hot base, pushing apple pieces to the edges of the pan to completely cover the crust.
- Sprinkle apples with the streusel topping, and bake until apples are soft and streusel is golden, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool bars for at least 30 minutes before removing the side of the pan and cutting into wedges.
- Store bars at room temperature or chill.