Cereal Apple Pie Bars
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 egg yolk, reserve egg white
- 2⁄3 cup milk, scant
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 8 cups tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch sliced (about 8-10 medium apples)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white (reserved)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, add enough milk to egg yolk to measure 2/3 cup; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- With fork, stir in milk mixture until dough forms a ball. You may need to add a few teaspoons more of milk if dough is still too dry. Divide into halves.
- Roll out half of the dough, on lightly floured surface, into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Place on bottom of ungreased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- For Filling, sprinkle cereal over top of crust; layer apples over cereal. In small bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples.
- Roll remaining half of dough into a 15 1/2-10 1/2-inch rectangle; place over apples.
- In small bowl, beat egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust. In another small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over top crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Glaze, in small bowl, stir together all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top crust while still warm. Cut into bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.