Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is best with a firm apple. Easier than pie since you just press the crust into the pan.
Make and share this Apple Pie Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- To make filling, combine the apples, juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in a large pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Lower heat and cook and stir until apples soften, 3-5 minutes. Mix the cornstarch and sugar well, then stir into the pan. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly, about 1 minute. Cool slightly.
- Make crust: Blend the butter and sugar well, then add the eggs and remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Press 2/3 of crust mixture into a greased 10x15 inch pan.
- Spread apple filling over. Crumble remaining crust on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes till golden. Great with vanilla ice cream!
- Cool and cut into bars.