Recipe by Kaarin
This is best with a firm apple. Easier than pie since you just press the crust into the pan.
Top Review by Beaner #2
The only reason I'm not giving this 5 stars is because the crust was much too "wet" after using 3 cups of flour; I ended up using a total of 5 cups to get it the right consistency (moist but crumbly). Next time I will cut down the butter to 1/2 cup and use the 3 cups flour and I think it will be just fine and there will be plenty of crust for the bottom and top. I used about 7+ cups of Macintosh apples, sliced thick, and not cooked too long so they didn't turn to mush. I will use more apple next time. I only used 1/4 t. nutmeg (not a fan) and increased the cinnamon to 2 t. After baking, the apple mixture firmed up perfectly! This is a delicious bar served warm! UPDATE: Second time around I used 1/2 cup of butter, but still used an additional 3/4 c. of flour. I've changed my review to 5 stars as these are DELICIOUS and simpler to make than the ones where you have to roll out the crust. This is definitely a "keeper" recipe and I will make often during apple season.
- 6 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- To make filling, combine the apples, juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in a large pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Lower heat and cook and stir until apples soften, 3-5 minutes. Mix the cornstarch and sugar well, then stir into the pan. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly, about 1 minute. Cool slightly.
- Make crust: Blend the butter and sugar well, then add the eggs and remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Press 2/3 of crust mixture into a greased 10x15 inch pan.
- Spread apple filling over. Crumble remaining crust on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes till golden. Great with vanilla ice cream!
- Cool and cut into bars.