Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a fairly simple recipe, that tastes delicious. I serve with ice cream.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar, depending on apple type
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine flour and salt in bowl.
- Cut in shortening thoroughly.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 T at a time until dough almost cleans the sides of bowl.
- Gather dough into ball and divide into 2 flattened rounds.
- With floured rolling pin, roll dough 2 inches longer than inverted pie pan.
- Fold crust into quarters and slide bottom layer onto pie pan.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and spices.
- Toss with apples, and spoon into pie crust.
- Seal with top crust and bake for 40-45 minutes.