Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These bars are like an apple crisp with the "crisp" on the bottom and the top.
Make and share this Apple Oatmeal Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Add brown sugar and oatmeal.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pat 1/2 the mixture into a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan to make a bottom crust.
- Put apples on top of this bottom layer.
- Cover with remaining crumbs.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or til nicely browned.
I doubled this recipe for a 13x9 pan because I have roommates who love homemade treats. Unfortunately, non of us were that impressed with these bars. I realized (while my hands were in the bowl, mixing) that the ratio of butter to dry ingredients wasn't correct at all. I should have cut the amount of butter nearly in half to come out with that crumbly texture necessary for a crisp or bars. Even after adding more flour and oatmeal, the texture still was not quite right-- soft and chewy when expected more of a crunch, at least from the top layer. All in all, the recipe is a decent starting point, but be prepared to make some adjustments yourself!