Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These bars are like an apple crisp with the "crisp" on the bottom and the top.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml quick oats
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine, cut into small pieces
- 709.77 ml thinly sliced cooking apples
- Mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Add brown sugar and oatmeal.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pat 1/2 the mixture into a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan to make a bottom crust.
- Put apples on top of this bottom layer.
- Cover with remaining crumbs.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or til nicely browned.
I doubled this recipe for a 13x9 pan because I have roommates who love homemade treats. Unfortunately, non of us were that impressed with these bars. I realized (while my hands were in the bowl, mixing) that the ratio of butter to dry ingredients wasn't correct at all. I should have cut the amount of butter nearly in half to come out with that crumbly texture necessary for a crisp or bars. Even after adding more flour and oatmeal, the texture still was not quite right-- soft and chewy when expected more of a crunch, at least from the top layer. All in all, the recipe is a decent starting point, but be prepared to make some adjustments yourself!