Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Applesauce and a little coconut add a surprising twist to a tangy traditional pie. From Recipe.com
Make and share this Apple & Lemon Chess Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 rolled unbaked pie shell (1/2 of a 15-ounce package)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flaked coconut
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- whipped cream (optional)
- finely shredded lemon peel (optional)
- Let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unfold and fit crust into a 9-inch pie plate; flute edges. Line with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450°F oven for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl beat eggs slightly with a fork until combined. Stir in sugar, applesauce, lemon peel, lemon juice, butter, coconut and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Place the partially baked pie crust on the oven rack. Pour the filling into the pastry shell. Cover the edge of the pie with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool pie on wire rack. Cover and chill to store. If desired, top each serving with whipped cream and lemon peel.