1/1 Photo of Apple Juice Roast
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, Sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 3 large sweet potatoes, pared and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lemon juice
- 1Cook onions in 1 Tbsp butter or shortening in Dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside. Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- 2Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- 3Combine apple juice, catsup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat. Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- 4Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat. Continue cooking, covere d, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- 5Place meat and potatoes on warm platter.
- 6Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garnish with apple rings and parsley, if desired.
- 7Serve gravy over sliced meat. NOTE: After apple juice mixture is added to browned meat, it may be marinated in the refrigerator until 3 to 4 hours before serving time; turn meat several times.
- 8If Dutch oven is cast iron, transfer to a glass dish.
- 9GRAVY: Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups.
- 10Mix 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbsp Unbleached Flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid.
- 11Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
- 12Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 13Gravy may be served in Large Apple that has been scooped out, if desired.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Juice Roast
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.7
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 209.7 mg
- Sodium 735.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 65.4 g