1/1 Photo of Apple Juice Roast
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, Sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 3 large sweet potatoes, pared and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lemon juice
- 1Cook onions in 1 Tbsp butter or shortening in Dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside. Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- 2Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- 3Combine apple juice, catsup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat. Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- 4Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat. Continue cooking, covere d, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- 5Place meat and potatoes on warm platter.
- 6Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garnish with apple rings and parsley, if desired.
- 7Serve gravy over sliced meat. NOTE: After apple juice mixture is added to browned meat, it may be marinated in the refrigerator until 3 to 4 hours before serving time; turn meat several times.
- 8If Dutch oven is cast iron, transfer to a glass dish.
- 9GRAVY: Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups.
- 10Mix 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbsp Unbleached Flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid.
- 11Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
- 12Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 13Gravy may be served in Large Apple that has been scooped out, if desired.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Juice Roast
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.7
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 209.7 mg
- Sodium 735.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 65.4 g