1/2 Photos of Apple-Gruyere French Toast With Red Onion
A rich cross between grilled cheese and French toast, invented as another fried food to celebrate Hanukah. From the New York Times, Dec 4, 2009. http://bit.ly/81vJ70
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices challah, from middle of loaf (each about 2 inches thick)
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese (about 3/4 c)
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small apple, cored peeled and thinly sliced
- 1Cut a pocket in each bread slice through the bottom crust, parallel to the cut surfaces. Do not cut through the top crust. Stuff each with half the cheese and a few onion slices.
- 2Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour into a wide, shallow dish. Place stuffed bread into custard. Turn over after about 2 minutes, then let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Place half the apples in a single layer and cook 1 minute. Place the stuffed, soaked bread on the apples and cover with the remaining apple slices. Cook 1 minute.
- 4Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover pan, increase heat back to medium, and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn bread over and cook until golden, 3-5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Gruyere French Toast With Red Onion
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.4
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 287.8 mg
- Sodium 665.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 25.9 g