Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from 'The Enchanted Kitchen' column in SageWomen. This one really makes getting out of bed easier on a cold morning.
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium apple (cored and chopped into 1/4 in cubes)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
- 1 pinch pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄8 cup toasted chopped almonds
- maple syrup (or substitute brown rice syrup)
- milk, half and half,soy or rice milk
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to boil, then add the oats, apple, rasin and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the oats are soft (approx. 10 minutes) Stir in the almonds.
- To serve,divide between two large bowls.
- Sweeten with syrup and top with milk.
Maybe I'm the last to hear but I thought the candied ginger was an awesome addition to oatmeal.I used more since I LOVE ginger. Easy recipe to vary to your liking. I omitted the raisins and saved some raw apple for the garnish along with some pomegranate seeds and frozen blueberries. Combo worked well.
This was an enjoyable breakfast - had to use sultanas as I had no raisins and served it with vanilla yoghurt. I, too , left out the sugar as I am trying to cut back !!
I cut this down to serve one & used pecans in place of almonds, this was quite nice, the ginger was very subtle which is good as I'm not that keen on it. I didn't require any additional sweetner as the apples provided enough sweetness for me.