Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Lovely rustic looking galette. Very easy to make.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- icing sugar
- To Make Frangipane: Cream the sugar and butter till smooth.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the almond meal and flour and beat until it forms a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Puff Pastry: thaw as per manufacturer's instructions and then, on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll the pastry into a 16 inch oval shape that is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Prick the pastry all over with the tines of a fork and then transfer the pastry (along with the parchment paper) to a large baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Then, with a spatula or large knife, spread a thin layer of frangipane over the chilled crust, leaving about a 1/2 inch border.
- Cover and again freeze for about 15 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with the sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and lay the sugar coated apple slices on top of the frangipane, overlapping the slices.
- Bake for about 15 - 25 minutes or until the apples are slightly browned and tender and the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Preheat the oven broiler and move the rack to the top shelf of the oven.
- Lightly dust the tops of the apples with icing sugar and place under the broiler until the tips of the apples start to caramelize.
- Serve warm or cold with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.