Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was trying to work out how to make a delicious treat for the kids that was a little healthier than other treats. I had a can of pie apple, some almonds and ingredients that I have always got in the pantry - and this is what I came up with. I love trifle but I don't like the soggy texture so in my trifle recipe I haven't included jelly. It quickly disappeared before I could get a decent photo of it.
FOR CAKE MIXTURE
- 1⁄2 cornflour
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 600 g canned pie apples
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 liter milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 600 ml cream
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Firstly make the cake mixture or you can buy a ready made sponge or Madeira.
- To make the cake preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease an line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Sift flours three times onto baking paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs using a small mixing bowl until thick and pale.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating constantly until it has dissolved and it has become pale and glossy.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the flours lightly.
- Spoon cake mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool slightly before turning out.
- Next to make custard use a little of the milk to mix with the custard powder in a glass.
- Heat the remaining milk and the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Before it starts to boil add the custard powder and stir continuously until it is thickened.
- The custard should be very thick so check the custard powder instructions to make a thick custard.
- Slice the cake across about 2cm thick for each slice.
- In a large decorative bowl place some cake slices on the bottom, add half of the filling ingredients- the pie apple, sultanas, cinnamon, sugar and almonds.
- Spoon custard over the top to cover.
- Add another layer of cake, filling and custard again then another layer of cake.
- Whip the cream and sugar and spread over the final layer of cake and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 almonds.
- Place in the refrigerator until cooled then serve.