Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Cooks Recipes. What a lovely muffin for fall! Healthy too! You can use canned sweet potatoes instead of fresh.
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple, skinless, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apples.
- In another bowl combine sweet potatoes, egg, egg whites, oil, and yogurt. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and stir all ingredients until just mixed.
- Spray muffin tins with vegetable cooking spray and spoon 1/4 cup of batter per muffin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Great recipe! Very, very moist. I forgot to refrigerate, so several of them ended up in the trash moldy. The only thing I subbed was 2 eggs, no egg whites and vanilla yogurt for the plain. Very tasty, made some to put in the freezer for a friend who just adopted a toddler.
These muffins were so moist and perfectly sweetened. I used about 1.5 cups mashed sweet potato and two whole eggs, and I grated the apple rather than chop it. Would also make a yummy cake topped with cream cheese frosting. I will be making these again!
This is my go to muffin for my son! I make them as mini muffins and throw them in the freezer. By the time he is ready for a snack when we are out and about or ready to eat lunch at school they are thawed. I grate the apple instead of chop; I also add 1tsp of vanilla and about 1/2 a teaspoon of apple pie spice or another complimentary spice, whatever I have on hand. Plus I add a few chopped walnuts. I normally use the non-fat Greek yogurt I have on hand, but I have also used a honey Greek yogurt and it was delicious. I have also substituted the sweet potato with pumpkin and banana with great results.