Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Company's Coming. Great with pork and poultry.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs tart apples, peeled cored and diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups raisins, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in large heavy saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil gently, uncovered, for about 35 minutes until thick.
- Stir more often towards end of cooknig time to prevent scroching.
- Pour into hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.