Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For those who eat dairy, this is excellent with cheese and crackers.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 small dried hot peppers
- 12 whole cloves
- 5 teaspoons black mustard seeds or 5 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 6 tart apples (one pound)
- 6 sweet apples (one pound)
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- In a small skillet, heat oil over high heat and cook hot peppers, cloves and mustard seeds just until seeds start to pop and peppers darken, about 20 seconds.
- Set aside.
- Peel and core apples; cut into 1/2-inch cubes to make 12 cups.
- Toss with a little of the vinegar as you work to prevent browning.
- In a large saucepan, bring apples, remaining vinegar, onion, sugar, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon and hot pepper mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to a maple-syrup consistency and apples are soft but still intact-- 30-45 minutes .
- Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Ladle into one-cup hot sterilized canning jars, placing 1 hot pepper in each and leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Cover with prepared lids; screw on bands fingertip-tight.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
This is great with chicken. I am on a low fat diet and searched for accompaniments for meats that weren't fat ladden.