1 hr 20 mins
Gwen from church, is in her 90's knows I love to bake, she saved me this recipe from a magazine. I regularly drop off goodies to her house as a thank you, due to arthritis in her fingers she is unable to bake for herself. I have altered this for my own families tastes and keeping it here for safe keeping - small pieces of paper and I are not a good mix! A rich apple cake with a sweet glaze, perfect for apple season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 granny smith apples, peeled and cored (800g)
- 100 g butter, chopped
- 100 g golden syrup
- 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 100 g butter, extra (diced and room temp.)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup apple juice
- 1Chop the apples into small chunks (not tiny pieces).
- 2Heat the butter and syrup in a sauce pan - allow butter to melt and bubbling at the sides on a LOW heat. Add the apples and increase heat to medium for 8-10 minutes until the apples are halfway cooked and golden - set aside to cool (about 20 minutes).
- 3In a bowl beat the sugar, extra butter oil, lemon zest, spices and vanilla - beat until thick and creamy.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time until well combined. Sift the flour, add the milk and fold through the butter mix together with a large spoon.
- 5Spoon half the cake batter into a well greased bunt tin. Top with the apples - but no syrup (this will be our glaze later).
- 6Top with the remaining cake mixture and bake for 35-45 minutes (or until cooked when tested with a skewer).
- 7Once cooked, cool briefly and pour the glaze over the cake. Let the cake cool until the glaze has been absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- 8Remove from the pan and serve warm OR cold with cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cake With a Sweet Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.4
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 84.9 mg
- Sodium 153.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g