Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lovely!! From The healthy kitchen, by Dr. Andrew Weil and Rosie Daley.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 3.69 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 473.18 ml peeled cored and finely shredded apples
- 59.14 ml finely chopped dates
- 59.14 ml confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Mix the flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda and cinnamon together in a medium bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Cream the sugar and butter together in a large bowl.
- Beat in the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the shredded apples and dates until they are completely distributed throughout.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly into the batter.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease it with butter and pour in the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- Put the confectioners' sugar in a sifter and dust it over the cake a few times until all the sugar is gone.
Loved the apple date mix! Served this cake warm with some really rich vanilla ice cream.... Lovely....simply lovely!!
These were only ok for me. I found them easy enough to make but they were missing something vital. More fruit flavour,all I could taste were the spices.
Great recipe! I used gluten-free flour and it worked fine...very dense and flavorful. Thanks for a keeper!