Chinese Green Bean Salad by Dr Andrew Weil
from his website. He writes, "This bright green, crunchy salad is bursting with Asian flavors and is so easy to prepare. Look for fresh, plump organic green beans if you can find them. Cook them until they are bright green and still crunchy-tender. At this point you can keep the green beans refrigerated. Toss them with the dressing just before serving or the acid in the dressing will dull the bright green color."
- Ready In:
- 1 lb fresh green beans, organic if possible
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup slivered red onion
- 4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice or 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark-roasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Trim and cut the green beans into 1-inch lengths. Cook in rapidly boiling water, about 5 minutes or until crunchy-tender.
- Drain beans, immerse in cold water to stop the cooking until they are cool, then drain well. At this point you can set them aside and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl with a whisk until well blended.
- Toss the green beans with the ginger root, red onion and dressing.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My garden is doing so well this year, that we could eat green beans every night! I need lots of good recipes. I really like the one my Chiropractor gave me, Recipe #327131, last night we had Recipe #133821, tonight your fine recipe... and tomorrow, who knows...<br/><br/>I did not have any red onions, so I used Shallots... grated the ginger, because I can ;-) and did it directly into the sauce (used only about half the sauce, and will save it for other things). We had leftovers... leftover chicken, leftover rice, and the green beans waiting for me to figure out what to do... I was certainly not expecting this! They worked so well together, I know this will be a repeat menu, with your beans the star!<br/><br/>Thank you so much for such a different and delicious recipe!Reply