Recipe by Kathy228
So easy, it cooks itself. And your house will smell wonderful for a couple of days. Good on bagels, muffins, a filling for a spice layer cake.
Top Review by the veggie plot
My house smelt just wonderful while cooking this. It turned out a lot darker than i was expecting. I made it according to the recipe without changing a thing. This has been a massive hit, many thanks. It seems to be stroring well too as i made this well over a month ago.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar, approximate
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice enough apples until you fill your crock pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pot to prevent sticking.
- Cook approximately 24-36 hours on low, stirring occasionally during the day.
- To cut cooking time, cook on high during the day, but reduce temperature to low over night.
- After the first day of cooking, add sugar to taste, approximately 2-1/2 to 3-cups.
- Continue to cook until thick and glossy.
- Stir in seasonings and cook for another hour.
- Ladle hot into jelly jars. Seal and put in 10-min. water bath.
- NOTE: Stayman apples are great to make apple butter, but any apple will do. And you can combine sweet and tart apples.