Recipe by *Alia*
We make this in the fall during apple picking season.
Top Review by Chef Q in Oregon
I used all the measurements that you have here and made the apple butter, the only difference is that I cooked it on the stove top. The flavor of the butter is fantastic! I will be using this recipe again. Thanks.
- 12 cups cortland apples, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients in crockpot; cover and cook on "high" setting for 4 hours
- Remove cover; cook 4 hours more
- Add cider vinegar and continue to cook, uncovered, for 4 hours more
- Cook a total of 12 hours, stirring occasionally during the last 8 hours.
- Place apple butter in sterile canning jars; cap and allow to cool
- Keep some out for immediate use and store remaining jars in freezer.