Recipe by LMillerRN
If Brie isn't the cheese for you, substitute your favorite kind. Cheddar, smoked gouda, or Swiss also would be nice. From Cooking Light.
Top Review by Fairy Nuff
Wow - what a gorgeous recipe! The outcome looks stunning and tastes delicious. I used my own recipe # 113729 to replace the frozen dough and weighed out 1 lb. Followed the recipe but used flaked almonds and gouda cheese. I'm looking forward to making this again with the brie. Thanks for an outstanding recipe!!
- 1 (1 lb) frozen white bread dough
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled granny smith apples (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
- cooking spray
- 4 ounces brie cheese
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw dough in refrigerator 12 hours.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in almonds.
- Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spread apple mixture lengthwise down center of dough. Remove rind from cheese; cube. Arrange cheese on top of apple mixture. Make diagonal cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart, on opposite sides of filling to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips alternately over filling from each side, overlapping at an angle. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl; cut in 1 tablespoon butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until combined. Sprinkle over top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden.