Recipe by mandabears
Yummmm, healthy comfort food. I have used almost any type of bread and applesauce. I use egg beaters and 1 % milk in this recipe to make it healthier. Can serve with cool whip, whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream.( forget the healthy stuff) Also works as a breakfast dish
- 10 slices French bread or 10 slices Italian bread, sliced and cubed
- 1 (25 ounce) jar chunky applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten, I use egg beaters
- 2 cups milk, I use 1%
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place 1/2 of the bread cubes in baking dish.
- Spoon all of applesauce over the first layer of bread.
- Sprinkle applesauce with half of the cinnamon.
- Cover applesauce with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, then add milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour over bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.