Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yummmm, healthy comfort food. I have used almost any type of bread and applesauce. I use egg beaters and 1 % milk in this recipe to make it healthier. Can serve with cool whip, whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream.( forget the healthy stuff) Also works as a breakfast dish
- 10 slices French bread or 10 slices Italian bread, sliced and cubed
- 1 (25 ounce) jar chunky applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten, I use egg beaters
- 2 cups milk, I use 1%
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray a 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place 1/2 of the bread cubes in baking dish.
- Spoon all of applesauce over the first layer of bread.
- Sprinkle applesauce with half of the cinnamon.
- Cover applesauce with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, then add milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour over bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.
I brought some of my homemade applesauce to work and a coworker made this. It was so good served with vanilla bean ice cream! Really wonderful. Thank you for posting this!
This is a fantastically easy recipe, and gorgeous to eat. As a newbie cook this was a no fuss recipe - I reduced the sugar a bit (DH doesn't have my sweet tooth) but otherwise followed it exactly and was rewarded with a delicious dessert. Served it with low-fat custard so minimal guilt when eating!