Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I believe this is a Penzey's recipe. It has apples and almond extract. Great flavor!
Make and share this Apple Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples, cut into about 1 inch chunks
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour or 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter, room temp
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease two 9x5" bread loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the oil and beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla, almond, baking soda, salt and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Next, add the 3 cups flour and 2 cups sugar on low just to blend. Turn the mixer to high and beat until mix is smooth. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the chopped apples, mixing by hand so the apples do not get too broken up.
- Divide the mix between two pans. Since the batter is so thick, it is easiest to spoon the batter into the pans.
- To prepare the topping, combine the 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cut the butter into the mix with a fork (or your hands) until all ingredients are moist and crumbly.
- Sprinkle equal amounts of topping on each loaf.
- Bake for about 1 hour on the center rack of the oven. The loaf should feel fairly firm when touched in the middle, or cook an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from the pans.
- It is easier to slice the bread if you can wait until it is cooled. Makes 2 loaves.
Very, very good, received many compliments & requests for the recipe.<br/>I did substitute one cup of brown sugar for 1 cup of the white sugar in the recipe,( reason): I just like brown sugar!
This is very moist. I made a lot last Thanksgiving and gave them as gifts. Some people asked for seconds it was that good.
I did for 1 loaf only and for 1 loaf it was 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. But in the direction it was written 2, so I put 2 teaspoon by mistake. But it's delicious. I like cinnamon :P I omitted the topping. For 1 loaf, it's 1 cup of sugar but I used only 3/4 cup. Thanks Wi Cheesehead :) Made for 123 hit wonders.