Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
My grandmother's stuffed cabbage recipe. It is not sweet. All measurements are very approximate.
- 3 large heads of cabbage
- 4 lbs chopped meat
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 6 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon citric acid
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Three days before, freeze cabbages.
- Day before, take cabbages out of freezer and allow to thaw until leaves are soft.
- Day you cook, take off the outer leaves.
- Cook onions in oil/chicken fat until soft.
- Mix chopped meat with rice, 1 can tomato sauce, half of the onion, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and water.
- Put 2 tablespoons of mixture in the middle of each leaf and wrap.
- Shred the rest of the cabbage.
- In the bottom of a heavy pot, put 2 cans of tomato sauce, some of the shredded cabbage, the cabbage rolls, the rest of the shredded cabbage, the rest of the browned onions, the sour salt and the last 3 cans of tomato sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until it boils.
- After it boils, add the sugar.
- After cooking for an hour, taste the sauce. If it is very sour, add some more sugar. It should not be sweet but nor should it be mouth-puckering sour.
- Cook for at least 3 hours - the more the better, just make sure it does not burn.