Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
The basics of the Nicoise Salad are from Ina Garten, the Tuna recipe is from Emeril and the potatoes are from Ellinikos Lemoni Patatas (Greek Lemon Potatoes). The combination of the recipes is divine! I have changed the recipes a bit to fit our tastes. The homemade tuna really is the star of the show! Pls. note you have to go to Ellinikos Lemoni Patatas (Greek Lemon Potatoes) for instructions. Make the full recipe.
- 1 lb fresh tuna fillet
- salt and pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges (6 small tomatoes)
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bunch fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 lb olive, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, from the baked tuna
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Place the tuna in a covered baking dish that is just large enough to hold it in one layer.
- Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and toss with the garlic, oregano and marjoram.
- Add enough olive oil to completely cover the tuna.
- Cover the baking dish and cook until the tuna is thoroughly cooked and flakes easily, about 3 to 4 hours. The time will depend on the thickness of your tuna. You will know that it is done when it flakes easily and the fillets feel firm from the edges all the way to the center.
- Remove the tuna from the baking dish and place in the center of the platter you are going to serve it on. (Do not throw away the olive oil! Use it for home made salad dressings, pastas, white bean salads and/or casseroles. It is delicious. And you will need 1/2 cup of it to make this recipe).
- For the Vinaigrette:.
- Combine the champagne vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in the tuna flavored olive oil until emulsified.
- For the Salad Ingredients:.
- Blanch the green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 7 minutes. Drain and immerse in a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Surround the tuna with the spinach. Place the potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, eggs and olives in a pretty arrangement on top of the spinach. Drizzle some vinaigrette over the tuna and vegetables (except the potatoes)and serve the rest in a pitcher or gravy boat on the side.