Recipe by Chef Shelby
The first time I had this salad, I thought it was some sort of a cheese mixed with pasta. The original recipe was made with chili-mac pasta and hardboiled eggs. I now use rotini pasta and never use the eggs just because of their wonderful aroma :) The recipe instructions are based upon making it the night before. To make the same day, empty all the ingredients in together (including all of the Catalina dressing) and chill for at least 2 hours. Cooking time does not included chill time nor does it include cook time for hardboiled eggs.
Top Review by lac92576
Wow! What an easy (not to mention QUICK) pasta salad recipe! I used a whipped dressing instead of mayo and added in some Honey Mustard with a few dashes of black pepper and parsley flakes. Soooo tasty! As for the pasta salad, I didn't have green peppers, so I added shredded carrot, chickpeas, frozen veggies (for added colour), and some shredded sharp cheddar. This is the most versatile pasta salad recipe I've found - and I love that it isn't your usual mayo and vinegar dressing. The Catalina dressing (or California dressing, since that's what I had on hand) gives it a nice sweetness. I'm going to have so much fun switching up this recipe :) Thanks for posting it!
- 2 lbs pasta (I use rotini)
- 1 large green pepper (cored and diced small)
- 24 ounces Catalina dressing, divided (I used Kraft)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 eggs (hardboiled, cooled, and sliced) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- While pasta is cooking chop up the green pepper.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and rinse under cold water until pasta is no longer warm.
- Empty into large bowl with the green peppers.
- Add 16 ounces of Catalina dressing and 1/2 cup of mayo and stir until pasta is completely coated. (It should have a creamy orange consistency).
- Add sliced hardboiled eggs and fold into pasta mixture (optional).
- Refrigerate overnight.
- About an hour before serving, pour in the last 8 ounces of Catalina dressing and stir well. (more mayo can be added if desired).