Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons anise seed, ground
- Grease and flour baking sheets.
- Beat egg yolks, powdered sugar and salt in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff; fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Siftflour, baking powder and aniseed onto egg mixture; fold in quickly but thoroughly.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain nozzle with cookie mixture.
- Pipe in small rounds onto prepared baking sheets.
- Let stand overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake cookies 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
I have made these several times & they are GREAT. I've had many people ask for the recipe. The cookies need a while (several days or so) in a tightly sealed container to mellow (as they will be very crisp to start) or if you bake right away, they will be chewy on cooling (as if they'd been mellowed). The result either way is a tender cookie with what looks like white icing on top.Thanks for posting!!