Never-Fail Sponge Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup room temperature water
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated lemons (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Prepare an ungreased tube pan with removable sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored (this is important the egg yolks must be thick, the beating time should take about 5 minutes or more).
- Add in sugar, vanilla and lemon juice; beat until thoroughly blended and no sugar granules remain (about 5 minutes).
- Add in sifted flour mixture alternately with water; beat until just blended.
- In a large stainless steel or copper bowl beat room temperature egg whites with cream of tartar until quite stiff; gently fold into the flour mixture.
- Transfer to the ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Immediately turn the pan upside down and cool completely before removing.
Join The Conversation