Recipe by mollypaul
Leberkase is a special lunchmeat/appetizer kind of pork meat loaf. Try very thin slices on dark rye bread with pickles. Posted in response to a recipe request from Grocery Shopping Network. Cooking time is approximate.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs jowl fat or 4 1⁄2 lbs pork fatback
- 5 1⁄2 lbs beef shanks, lean
- 5 1⁄2 lbs pork butt
- 5 ounces salt
- 2 teaspoons curing salt, Morton's preferred (Curing salt contains nitrates. Table salt or canning salt cannot be used in place of curing salt. If)
- 6 lbs shaved ice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon mustard, ground
- 2 tablespoons nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
- 3⁄4 ounce maggi seasoning or 3⁄4 ounce soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced, blanched
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube fat and grind through a medium die.
- Set aside.
- Cube beef and pork; add salts.
- Place meat in a food processor and run for approximately 30 seconds, until sticky.
- Add ice slowly, running machine until it is absorbed.
- Add fat and run machine until mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar, spices, maggi, and onion.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Oil pans or molds well. Place molds on sheet pans.
- Fill molds with loaf mixture.
- Place in water bath, and bake/poach in oven to an internal temperature of 160°F.