1/2 Photos of Angel Hair Pasta With Scallops and Arugula
This recipe is from the Williams-Sonoma Collection series, Pasta, by Erica De Mane. A note about capers: Purchase capers packed in salt. They have a sweet, floral fragrance, as opposed to sharp-tasting brine-packed varieties (the vinegar variety changes the flavor of the caper). Ask for them at Italian specialty-food stores. To prepare salted capers, soak them in cool water for about 15 minutes, changing the water once or twice, to remove excess salt. Give them a final rinse and drain well. Estimated prep and cook time combined is 35-40 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb large scallop, side muscle removed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 2 -3 large fresh thyme sprigs, leaves from minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 shallots, minced
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup capers, preferably salt-packed,rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 bunch arugula, preferably small leaved,stems removed
- 1Rinse the scallops and dry well with paper towels.
- 2Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- 3In a large, heavy fry pan over high heat, warm the olive oil until it shimmers.
- 4In batches without crowding, add the scallops and sear until nicely browned on one side, about 2 minutes.
- 5Turn the scallops over and brown the other side, about 1 minute more.
- 6Return all the scallops to the pan, Add the lemon zest and thyme, and cook for a moment.
- 7Using a slotted spoon, transfer the scallops to a bowl.
- 8Reduce the heat to low and add the butter and shallots to the pan.
- 9Sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- 11Generously salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 3 to 4 minutes.
- 12While the pasta is cooking, add the lemon juice and broth to the fry pan and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom.
- 13Simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 14Drain the pasta well and add it to the fry pan.
- 15Add the scallops and any juices that have accumulated.
- 16Add the capers and pine nuts.
- 17Toss over low heat to finish cooking the scallops and mix the ingredients, about 1 minute.
- 18Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- 19Transfer to a warmed large, shallow bowl.
- 20Add the arugula leaves and toss gently.
- 21Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Hair Pasta With Scallops and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.9
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 675.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
fresh thyme sprigs