Recipe by - Andy
This is the best chili I've ever had. No beans, lots of flavor, and lots of heat, the way chili should be.
Top Review by stormylee
Great chili - the orange is a lovely addition indeed!! Halved the recipe; omitted the tequila as I didn't have any and topped this with a whole lot of fresh cilantro as I love the stuff! Next time I think I'll use chopped beef instead of ground: with all the ground meat in this is a bit mushy and I'd like a bit more texture, so to speak. Really enjoyed this, thank you!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (both packaged together for meatloaf) or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork (both packaged together for meatloaf)
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 habanero peppers, diced (or more if you dare)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup tequila
- 4 fresh cilantro stems, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any casings from sausages, crumble meat into a large, deep, pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often until lightly browned. To pot add ground turkey, beef, and pork. Mix together and crumble meat until it begins to brown.
- To browned meat add onion, bell pepper, and pablano pepper. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until onion is soft.
- Add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Don't forget to occasionally stir, so it doesn't burn!
- Uncover and cook over medium-low heat until liquid starts to evaporate (about 30 minutes), continue to stir so it doesn't burn.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool about 15-20 minutes.
- Return to burner and heat throughly.
- Repeat the last 2 steps as needed until chili is thick.
- Serve with crackers.
- Leftovers can be easily frozen in a ziplock freezer bag or Tupperware.