Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from a cookbook I bought while visiting MA. Through the Front Door Recipes from Ashfield Homes Recipe by Leona Foreman. I wish we could get pumpkins all year round. Cooking time is estimated.
- 1 (2 lb) sugar pumpkin
- 2 lbs medium shrimp
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 large plum tomatoes
- 2 bunches cilantro
- olive oil, for sauteing
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- Line a roasting pan with heavy foil.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice off top of pumpkin and save to use as cover/lid.
- Take out pumpkin seeds and strings.
- Sauté chopped onions till translucent and beginning to caramelize in the olive oil.
- Chop and add garlic to the onions.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Clean and devein shrimp.
- Chop tomatoes and sauté with onions and garlic till the tomatoes have softened.
- Add shrimp and sauté until shrimp turn pink.
- Don't overcook!
- Chop the cilantro and sprinkle over the shrimp mixture.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Fill the pumpkin with the shrimp mixture.
- Cover with lid.
- Bake until the pumpkin is soft.
- Dish out shrimp and pumpkin together.
- Serve with rice.
- Sprinkle with hot sauce for extra spicy flavor.