This recipe is based on one from Sunset Magazine (Oct 1997, although the original used instant rice so this new one is quite different), and is absolutely wonderful! Darn easy, too. :) Easily converted to vegetarian, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup vegetarian broth
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, melt the olive oil and butter together over medium high heat. Add onion and nutmeg and cook, stirring often, until the onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 2In a bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and a little of the chicken broth until there are no lumps.
- 3To the saucepan with the cooked onions, add the remaining broth, wine, pumpkin, and already-cooked rice.
- 4Gradually add the cornstarch mixture while stirring continually, then increase heat to high and allow to come to a boil (still while stirring), about 3-4 minutes.
- 5Put the cover on the saucepan and remove from heat, then let stand for 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the grated parmesan cheese (reserving some for garnish, if you like). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 7Note: add chicken or vegetarian broth if the consistency isn't what you'd like.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazingly Easy 15 Minute Pumpkin " Risotto "
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.0 mg
- Sodium 322.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 11.2 g