Leslie in Texas's Note:
This goes coconut cream pies one better! I've had this recipe for over 20 years and it always gets a fantastic reaction. An easy, impressive-looking dessert! Don't count calories here, just enjoy! Originally from Humphrey's restaurant in Houston.
My Private Note
large d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 ounce unflavored gelatin (2 T.)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Grease bottom of 10 inch springform pan.
- 3Combine crumbs,sugar and butter and press evenly on bottom of pan to form crust;set aside.
- 4Evenly distribute coconut on baking sheet.
- 5Toast in oven until golden brown, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes; set aside.
- 6Using electric mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and eggs in large bowl until fluffy.
- 7Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in heatproof measuring cup or bowl and let stand about 5 minutes to soften.
- 8Set cup in a small pan of hot water over direct heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- 9Fold gelatin, Amaretto, and almond extract into egg mixture;let stand until slightly thickened.
- 10Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- 11Fold coconut(reserving a small amount for garnish) into thickened egg mixture.
- 12Fold in whipping cream and blend thoroughly.
- 13Pour mixture over crust in springform pan and chill thoroughly, at least six hours.
- 14Loosen sides before serving and sprinkle with reserved coconut.
- 15Whip remaining cream with sugar.
- 16Garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and a strawberry.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amaretto Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.4
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.7 g
- Cholesterol 249.6 mg
- Sodium 148.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 36.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: