Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe for faggots that doesn't need all the liver, belly, shoulder pork etc. Not to mention the caul to wrap it in. I appreciate this isn't a traditional recipe, but it is a nice alternative when you want something similar without the effort.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 12 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, split lengthways and cut into fine strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon beef gravy granules
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork, parsley, sage and leek.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into large, even-sized meatballs.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the faggots and let them cook without stirring until they develop a crust.
- Turn once browned on one side. Remove the faggots from the pan and reserve them.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes. Chuck in the garlic and fry, stirring, for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, bring to the boil and cook briskly until reduced by half. Sprinkle the gravy granules into the pan and cover in hot water, mixing well.
- Bring to the boil, then return the faggots to the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook the faggots for 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve the faggots with smooth mashed potato.
If you love Faggots like I do then you have to try this recipe. Not authentic as English_Rose points out but so yummy and easy to make. Only thing I did different was bake them in the oven after everything had been assembled. I served them with mash potatoes and petite green peas. Thanks so much for posting English_Rose this is a winner.