Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
If made according to directions below you will get 36 cupcakes, if desired you can fill with muffin tins half way (instead of 3/4 full) with the cake batter and use a larger dollup of the cream cheese mixture to make 18 cupcakes instead of 36.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sifted unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 36 regular size muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and pinch of salt until fluffy and well combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips; mix to combine and set aside.
- For the cake batter; in a bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Fill the liners 3/4 full with chocolate batter.
- Drop about a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture on top and in the middle of each chocolate batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cupcakes test done.