Recipe by JenSmith
These are so pretty, perfect for impressing your friends at a tea party. Actually, they're good any time! You can make them ahead of time and freeze for later. Enjoy!
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons almond extract (or to taste)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and extract; mix well. Add flour and baking powder (dough will be soft). Chill.
- For filling, stir egg white, sugar, ground almonds and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Remove a portion of the dough at a time from the refrigerator. Place 1-inch balls of dough into miniature muffin cups, pressing slightly into sides and bottom. Place 1/2 tsp of filling into each. Cover with quarter-sized circles of dough. Brush with a little milk and top with an almond.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20--25 minutes or until golden.