Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this when I wanted a rice side dish, but couldn't find one that fit my mood and ingredients I had on hand. The seasonings I used were pretty mild, so you can up the amounts or use others to give it the flavor to suit your taste. I think rosemary might be a nice addition.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grill mates monterey chicken seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Melt butter in a large pot, add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms and saute until onions and mushrooms are soft - about 5 minutes more.
- Add almonds, garlic and rice and saute for another 5 minute or so, until rice starts to brown slightly.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit, covered for another 10 minutes.