Recipe by ellie3763
from "17 and baking" - http://17andbaking.com/2010/03/19/17-and-baking-turns-one/
Top Review by Cook4_6
I made two of these and divided them to make a four-layer cake. I also used my own recipe for lemon mascarpone frosting. The cake didn't rise as much as I would have liked, and turned out just a tad bit dryer than I like but it paired wonderfully with lemon mascarpone...delish!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup almond meal (make your own by grinding almonds to a fine powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- half a lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter a 9-inch round pan, line it with a circle of buttered parchment paper and then flour the pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar at medium-high speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the extracts and lemon zest, then beat in the egg. Working on low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 the buttermilk mixture, then another 1/3 of the flour, the last of the buttermilk, then the last of the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting. If frosting the cake with mascarpone frosting, store the cake in the refrigerator.
- Beat cheese and cream together until smooth and creamy and slight peaks begin to form.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and zest and beat until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and spread on cooled cake.
- Hazelnut-Berry Version:
- Replace almond meal with hazelnut meal (hazelnuts ground into a fine powder), use vanilla extract instead of almond, use orange zest instead of lemon, and sprinkle the batter with 3/4 cup fresh mixed berries tossed with flour before baking.