Recipe by Belloo
One of the cookies I make for Christmas. This is a recipe that comes from Holland, birthplace of my parents.
Top Review by Gonnie
This is one of the best recipes I have ever made. I made half the recipe and omited the lemon juice from the filling. These cookies looked and tasted like they came from a bakery!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whole blanched almonds or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- COOKIE DOUGH:
- Cream butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and almond extract.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking soda and powder; gradually stir into creamed mixture until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, mix together filling ingredients until smooth.
- Using hands, roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls.
- With finger, make indentation in centre of each; stuff with about 1/4 teaspoons filling. Pinch off dime-sized piece of dough; press over filling to cover.
- Reroll in palms to seal and smooth edges.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; press almond lightly into each.
- Bake in 325oF oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until light golden.
- Let cool on racks. Makes about 5 dozen.