Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is posted by request and is an Emeril Lagasse original.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups seeded and chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs alligator meat, cut into 2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence (Creole Essence / Bayou Blast)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- cooked hot white rice
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large heavy nonstick pot or Dutch oven over mediun high heat.
- Stir in the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and bay leaves.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 T of the flour and cook, stirring to cook the flour with out browning, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, Worcestershire, and pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Place several pieces of alligator meat at a time on a work surfaace covered with plastic wrap.
- Cover the meat with plastic and pound with a meat mallet until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 2 inch strips.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour and the Essence in a medium bowl.
- Dredge the alligator piecees in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 2 T.
- of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add half of the meat and fry until golden brown, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Heat the remaining 2 T.
- oil in the skillet and repeat with the remaining alligator.
- Add the meat ot the sauce.
- Increase the heat under the sauce to medium high and bring to a gentle rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- To serve, spoon the rice into soup bowls.
- Top with the meat and sauce, and garnish with the green onions and parsley.