Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Can double, triple this recipe, very basic add to recipe, Freeze in portion servings. Add whatever is in the frige, carrot , green pepper, celery, mushrooms etc. Serve over any kind of noodles or rice and sprinkle with parmesan. Use as a base for lasagna, tacos, chili or casseroles, just generaly handy to have in the freezer.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes or 2 cups water or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper or 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- In large heavy frypan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking up with a spoon.
- Drain fat off through a colander, Wipe frypan with paper towel and return beef to frypan.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook until softened.
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, breaking with back of spoon, oregano, baqsil, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, thin with water if desired.
Hurray for this quick and delicious spaghetti sauce! To make it vegan, I sauteed the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil, and then added some TVP with the rest of the ingredients. I also used 1 T Italian Season rather than the individual herbs listed. Turned out tasty, and cooked as quickly as the noodles. Thanks for posting this! It was exactly what I needed.
Thanks Derf- This was fast, with ingredients I keep in my pantry and VERY TASTY!
So excited about this recipe! Super easy. Followed the recipe with the addition of brown sugar from another review...YUM! Can't wait to play with this more and add other veggies. Never buying spaghetti sauce again :)