Missy Wombat's Note:
From the doyenne of NZ baking...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast, e.g. Surebake active yeast mixture
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 1 cup boiling water
- 50 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mixed fruit
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1Measure the yeast mixture, flour, brown sugar and salt into a large bowl. Stir to mix and then add the cold milk followed by the boiling water. Stir thoroughly to mix.
- 2Leave to stand for 3 minutes. Melt the butter and assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- 3Once the 3 minutes is up, stir in the rest of the ingredients except for the flour.
- 4Now add as much flour as need to make a dough just firm enough to turn out on a board and knead. [The original recipe suggests 3 cups. I needed 4.].
- 5Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until smooth and satiny and it springs back when you press it with a finger.
- 6Oil a large bowl and turn the dough ball in this until it is all coated. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and leave to stand until it doubles it original bulk.
- 7Turn out on a floured board, knead lightly and cut into 30 evenly sized pieces.
- 8Form each piece into a ball and arrange the buns in rows in a dish or pan with at least 1 cm between them. A roasting dish works well and takes about 15 buns.
- 9Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F and when ready turn the heat down to 200°C/400°F.
- 10Put crosses on the buns.Make a paste of the flour and oil and then add enough water to make a dough that can be forced out of an icing bag. Pipe the crosses on the buns.
- 11Put the buns in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until they brown slightly and feel firm. Remove from oven and glaze with a hot syrup made by heating sugar and water.
- 12Cool buns on a rack. Store in airtight containers when cold.
- 13If you want to make a smaller quantity, halve the ingredients except for the egg. You may need more flour.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alison Holst's Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.6
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.9 mg
- Sodium 175.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: