Bread Machine Hot Cross Spice Buns
photo by HeatherFeather
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm water (110 F)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, separated, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 3⁄4 3/4 cup sultanas or 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups bread flour or 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup white icing, to decorate tops
- NOTE: Consult your bread machine to determine whether or not the wet or dry ingredients need to go in first; I have listed the ingredients assuming wet first, ending with yeast; simply go in reverse, starting with yeast and work backwards to lukewarm water if your manual says to add dry first.
- Place lukewarm water, milk powder, butter pieces, both egg whites and just 1 of the eggs yolks, vanilla, almond flavoring, salt, sugar, spices, zests, and fruit in order in your machine.
- Add 3 level cups of flour the the center of your pan and then make a small well in the flour; Add yeast to that well.
- Select dough cycle on your machine.
- After 5 minutes, take a peek in your machine at the dough, adding more water or flour if needed, adding 1 Tbsp of either at a time (or more) (this will vary depending on the humidity of the day).
- When dough cycle has completed, remove dough from machine and punch down on a floured surface; dough will be a bit sticky at this point.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Have ready a greased 9x13" pan.
- Roll dough into 12 large balls and place in the pan; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (it is ok if dough balls touch as they rise); this may take 45 min- 1 hour.
- One dough has risen,remove cover,and mix your remaining egg yolk with 2 Tbsp water and brush over the dough balls.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven (190 C) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately and let cool on wire racks.
- When fully cooled, pipe white icing of your choice in the shape of crosses atop each bun.
- Or, if you prefer warm buns, leave off the icing and either serve right away or gently reheat buns on the regular oven or toaster oven, then ice individual buns at the table (the icing will melt however).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!