Maria Luisa Scott and Jack Denton Scotts have traveled the world and collected its recipes in their many books. This is from "A World of Pasta". Posted for ZWT3 - Northern Africa. The lentils must be soaked for 2 hours before cooking so plan ahead.
- Rinse the lentils, place in a large pan and cover with water, soak for 2 hours, drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the lamb cubes, season with salt and pepper and brown them.
- Add one-half of the broth, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lamb is tender but still slightly underdone.
- Stir in the lentils and remaining broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Sprinkle onion mixture with the cumin and cinnamon.
- Add the onion mixture and orzo to the pot.
- Cover and keeping lid ajar, simmer 10 minutes or until the lamb and lentils are cooked and the pasta is al dente.
- Taste for seasoning.
- This is a hearty soup.