1/1 Photo of Algerian Lamb and Lentil Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
Maria Luisa Scott and Jack Denton Scotts have traveled the world and collected its recipes in their many books. This is from "A World of Pasta". Posted for ZWT3 - Northern Africa. The lentils must be soaked for 2 hours before cooking so plan ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the lentils, place in a large pan and cover with water, soak for 2 hours, drain.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- 3Add the lamb cubes, season with salt and pepper and brown them.
- 4Add one-half of the broth, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lamb is tender but still slightly underdone.
- 5Stir in the lentils and remaining broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in the butter until soft.
- 7Sprinkle onion mixture with the cumin and cinnamon.
- 8Add the onion mixture and orzo to the pot.
- 9Cover and keeping lid ajar, simmer 10 minutes or until the lamb and lentils are cooked and the pasta is al dente.
- 10Taste for seasoning.
- 11This is a hearty soup.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Lamb and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 1096.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 29.5 g