1/3 Photos of Algerian Couscous
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
I learned how to make this in France from some Algerian friends. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 small yellow squash
- 3/4 large carrot
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, skins on
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1Saute onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until translucent.
- 2Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as needed.
- 3Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- 4Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans) and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour or so.
- 6(This can cook slowly for 2-3 hours, if desired.).
- 7Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the veggies off the heat.
- 8Put couscous in a bowl.
- 9Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about 5 minutes.
- 10Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1 1/2:1 of water to couscous.).
- 11For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to the couscous in place of some of the water.
- 12Serve the stew over the couscous. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 681.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: