Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We had this tonight and it was gone in a matter of minutes. Yum!
- 500 g sashimi-grade tuna steaks, skin & bones removed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 dashes sesame oil
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tuna into small 2 cm (2/4") by 2 cm cubes.
- Place tuna in a bowl and add all other ingredients.
- Toss the mixture gently to blend evenly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- Notes: Ahi poke is best eaten within a few hours of being made, but can be kept in the refrigerator for one day. Hawaiians use Maui onion, but for those of us outside the US, any sweet onion will substitute. Yellow-fin tuna is best for this recipe, although any other sashimi-grade is fine.