Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
The mixture of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and peanut butter is a common flavor combination in African cuisine. Posted for ZWT7.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped cabbage (see hint below)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, up to 4
- 18 ounces canned sweet potatoes, drained and chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, wedges undrained or 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot, up to 2
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, up to 1/2
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1⁄3 cup natural-style peanut butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in cabbage and garlic; cook, stirring, until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, apple juice, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.
- Simmer until hot and bubbling, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in green beans and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended and hot, about 1 minute.
- Serve stew with crusty bread and a salad, or spoon it over rice or mashed potatoes.
- HELPFUL HINT: To save time, use packaged cabbage slaw mix instead of chopping up a head of cabbage.
- Per Serving: 261 Calories; 8g Protein; 9g Fat; 40g Carbohydrates; 0 Cholesterol; 425mg Sodium; 8g Fiber.