Recipe by FarAwayLea
I have no idea why this is called "African" salad - thats how it was introduced to me. Please meet: a great idea for a new dish
Top Review by Mirj
Exceedingly simple and delicious salad. It took me 5 seconds to print out the recipe, 5 minutes to hit the corner grocery for mushrooms, palm hearts and artichoke hearts, and 5 minutes to put the whole thing together. I used balsamic vinegar because I'm not a fan of wine vinegar (and am a huge fan of balsamic). I also added just a touch of lemon zest (as long as I'm juicing the lemon I might as well zest it). This salad is superbly low carb, great for Somersizers and Atkins dieters. Kol hakavod Lea, this is going into my make-at-least-once-a-week file.
- 250 g fresh champignon mushrooms
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cloves cruched garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (450 g) can hearts of palm
- 1 (450 g) can artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully wash the mushrooms and slice in half.
- Put into pot with the lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Shake the pot occasionally.
- Take of the heat.
- Drain and put into salad bowl.
- Rinse and drain the palm hearts.
- Slice in half and add to the mushrooms in the bowl.
- Rinse and drain the artichoke hearts, slice in half and add to the bowl, too.
- Blend together the ingredients of the dressing and pour over the salad.
- Mix gently, refrigerate 10 minutes and then serve.