Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Peanuts are also called ground nuts to distinguish them from tree nuts. They're a staple in African cuisine. For more intense heat, use a full teaspoon of crushed red pepper. Garnish with chives, if desired. From Cooking Light.
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (1-inch cubes, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1⁄2 cups quartered small red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 1⁄2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Combine sour cream and chives in a small bowl; cover. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in peanuts, salt, and crushed red pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Add potatoes, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Place 1 2/3 cups stew into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream mixture.