1 hr 15 mins
Kikai's Kitchen's Note:
My grandma used to make this on a weekly basis to give to friends and relatives. :) This is a perfect accompaniment to grilled/barbecued chicken, pork, fish, etc... The list is endless!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 papaya
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, julienned, could also be cut in decorative florets
- 5 shallots, sliced thinly crosswise
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced thinly crosswise
- 1 inch gingerroot, julienned
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1Peel the papaya and discard seeds. Shred using a vegetable grater or a cheese grater with bigger holes.
- 2Put the shredded papaya in a bowl, sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt and toss. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, then squeeze by the handfuls, discarding the juice.
- 3In a sauce pan - mix together the pickling solution and bring to boil stirring until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- 4Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 5Put everything in a bowl and pour the cooled pickling solution on top and mix well.
- 6Refrigerate, covered or transfer into jars and let cure for a day or so before serving.
- 8*Prep time includes soaking and sitting the papaya with the salt.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Achara (Pickled Papaya)
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 787.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: